Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Roaring 20's....the final months in suburbia

Over the next 20 months or so C and I kicked around the idea of moving.  I think the only thing that kept us there was the fact that we LOVED our neighbors and we didn't think that anyone would love the little bungalow like we did when we found it.

One evening at one of our many spring/summer cookouts with our amazing neighbors they dropped the bombshell.  They had been searching out houses in the area.  They were going to move!  A fire had been lit under our butts to get out of dodge.  We met with our realtor and got the process rolling.  Improvements were made and cleaning was underway to get things ship shape.  We honestly didn't think it would sell.  Although we tried to update things there was still so much to be done.  We put the house up on July 31st.  We had TWO offers 2 1/2 weeks later.  We were floored!  We got our list price and only had to make 3 small fixes from the inspection.

Then we remembered that we had no where to go!  We hadn't even began to look for houses.  We set up a day to go house hunting with our realtor.  We went to a house 10 minutes south of us.  It was on 10 acres and it was move in ready.  C was in love!  I was a little reluctant.  We looked at a few more that night, but none were going to work for us.  That next week we looked at 2 houses in a neighborhood.  They were nice, but I highly doubt they would appreciate us hanging and butchering deer in our garage.  They were out.  We looked at a house right around the corner from my sister.  It was on 12 acres, had a creek and an out building.  It needed a few updates, actually it needed a lot of updates.  C was not impressed.  I was disappointed.  Being right by family is so nice.  We went back and looked at the house on 10 acres one more time.  A peace came over me that I can't explain.  I knew this is where we needed to be.

One month later we closed on our little bungalow and bought our new house in a matter of hours!  It felt amazing.  Friends and Family volunteered to help us move.  They had our house packed in a uhaul in a matter of 2 hours and unpacked it with us the next day!  We couldn't have done it without them.  We felt so loved!  We spent the next couple days getting settled in.  The girls started at a new school.  They were little troopers.  The adapted well and made many new friends.

A few days later C and I put the kids to bed and started a bon fire in the backyard.  We looked up and could see every star in the sky, something we couldn't do in suburbia.  We heard the grain bins drying grain at a farm down the road.  We couldn't believe it was ours and we still can't!  Sometimes I have nightmares that we have to give the house back and move back to the bungalow on .3 of an acre.  That little house gave us a great start, but after being out here you could never get me to move to a neighborhood.  We were made for this!

So if you would have told my childless, city loving self 13 years ago that one day I would have 4 kids and love country living I would have said you were nuts.  All the things I said I never wanted are now the same things I can't live without!  

Since we have been on our little homestead my interest in self sufficiency/ natural living has peaked.  That is the ultimate goal, although it will be a long road.  This blog is all about the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment