Saturday, October 19, 2013

Homestead update....

When I was a kid we had a cat.  It's name was Christmas.  He was white with blue eyes and was completely deaf, if I remember correctly (correct me is I'm wrong, family).  Christmas was the spawn of satan himself.  That thing would hide behind corners and attack you legs when you walked by, scaring most of us half to death.  When we decided enough was enough we got rid of him.  We conned a farmer into taking him and putting him in his barn.  Christmas then proceeded to torment his german shepherd (which ended up running away) and actually scared the crap out of the farmer (i mean that literally).  Needless to say, Christmas had completely ruined me.  Cats, every single last one of them, came from the pits of hades.

So fast forward to last Sunday night.  I was coming home from a family gathering with the kids.  I was shuffling the kids out of the car and into the door when I heard a little tiny cry.  It sounded like a newborn baby.  It was coming from under my husbands work truck.  I hurried and got the kids in bed and went back out to see if I could coax it out.  It took off like a shot.  So here I am, in the pitch dark with only my phone flashlight, trying to catch this animal.  I'm sure I looked ridiculous.  It eventually jumped back up into the undercarriage of my husband's truck.  I knew I was fighting a losing battle, so I left it until it was morning.

When my oldest daughter found out there was a cat stuck up under the truck she made it her mission to catch it.  She is my animal lover and she didn't want to see the baby kitty hurt or starve.  She tried to stick her arm up in the truck and every time it would back away and hiss, just like you would expect a creature from satan to do.  She was persistent.  Finally the kitty made a break into the woods.  So my daughter (in my muck boots, her night gown and armed with a net) took off to catch it.  Sure enough she did.  "That thing is as fast as a bullet!!" she said.  The name stuck...meet Bullet.


He's a cute little thing, isn't he?  

Although I am not a cat person, what would it hurt to keep an outside kitty to catch mice and things?  I really wasn't the one that needed convincing.  It was my husband.  Eventually he agreed to keep him!  Those of you that know my husband realize this is a big deal.  My husband doesn't particularly like animals so much, which makes my homesteading aspirations a little more difficult.  I'm sure he'll come around.  

My oldest daughter and our homestead kitty, Bullet :)

1 comment: